Sunday, July 7, 2013

TV One-hit Wonders!

The other day I stumbled across the TV show The Finder, a spin-off of an episode from Bones, and fell in love with the show.  The show was filled with quirky characters and an interesting lead character that was obsessed to find things.  It was a drama that had episodes that were full of twists and turns.  The show originally aired on FOX.  It was cut by Fox after only one season and soon after the cancelation,  Michael Clarke Duncan passed away from heart problems.  It had the potential in my opinion to be picked up by a smaller channel like USA or TNT.  It got me thinking about other potentially great shows that only lasted on season.


It turns out the Writers Guild of America listed their top 101 TV shows of all time.  Some one-hit wonders that made the list were Freaks and Geeks, The Prisoner, My So Called Life (One of my wife's favorites), and The Honeymooners (I was surprised that it only lasted one season).  It didn't make the list, but I think it should have and in my opinion was one of the most interesting one-season shows is Firefly.

Firefly was a Josh Whedon creation (the same guy that did Buffy the Vampire Slayer and directed the Avengers movies).  The show combined elements of westerns with science fiction.  It included actors like Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, and Ron Glass as Preacher (one of my favorite characters).  The cast worked exceptionally well together.  The show only lasted one season, but it did get a movie several years later.  The movie, called Serenity,  provides a continuation of the original show.



Some fun quotes from the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment