Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

I am very thankful to be living in the country that I do.  I know I complain about the government and its inability to get along and get everything done, but thank God I have that right.  Today I read about the struggles of Egypt in developing a new government, the problems in places like Afghanistan, Syria, and Mali, and I know that despite our problems, we can get through it.

I started school in history, and while I always enjoyed the late 1800's to the early 1940's period the most, I know that things in this country were not easy when we started.  War of 1812, the Whiskey Rebellion, economic crashes in the late 1800's, and of course the civil war are signs that Democracy is not easy.

That is part of the reason that it worries me to see less people care about politics or even think about the consequences one party rule in any situation.  Part of what makes our country so strong and powerful is that it is built on a moving foundation that requires the understanding and willingness to listen to all people.

Have a safe 4th of the July and remember that the struggles of our great country continue.  It is imperative that we hold our politicians to maintaining a fair and open system of government that answers to the people.  Remember the soldiers that are off fighting and serving in foreign lands.  Finally, remember your fellow human being.  It is the people of the United States that make this country strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment